The Memorial to the 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division

T

he Memorial to the 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division atop Hill 593 (Monte Calvario) was unveiled on 18 July 1945. The commemorative tablet names the 1,115 soldiers of the 3rd Division who fell in the heaviest and fiercest battles of the Adriatic Campaign. Under the obelisk is an urn containing the ashes of the Division's Commander, Gen. Bolesław Bronisław Duch (1896-1980). The words of the inscription on the monument, penned by the soldier-poet, Bolesław Kobczyński, are perhaps the best known motto of Polish soldiers: "FOR OUR FREEDOM AND YOURS WE, POLISH SOLDIERS, HAVE GIVEN TO GOD OUR SOULS, OUR BODIES TO THE ITALIAN EARTH AND OUR HEARTS TO POLAND".

The monument, designed by Capt. Tadeusz Zandfos, was erected by the men of the 2nd Corps on very difficult terrain. Constructed in limestone, travertine and white marble it can be seen from afar thanks to its 11-metre obelisk, topped with a cross, and with bronze eagles and divisional insignia below.








18 july 1945
unveiling of monument
 
 
 
pomnik-3dsk-mini
"FOR OUR FREEDOM AND YOURS WE SOLDIERS OF POLAND GAVE OUR SOUL TO GOD, OUR LIFE TO THE SOIL OF ITALY, OUR HEARTS TO POLAND"